There are so many things to know and learn about poi but there are few things we really recommend you consider before purchasing;
- Make sure your poi fit. If you put the upoko in the palm of your hand, the hukahuka should reach your elbow crease. Typically the size 18cm fits under 5 year old's and the 25cm fits most youth and woman. We make a 34cm and this typically fits men or those with long arms. We also make long poi 63cm and 73cm depending on your height.
- Know the parts of poi in te reo Māori. We recommend you learn the parts of the poi and encourage you to utilise the kupu/words that make these taonga uniquely Māori.
- Hold the poi correctly. We recommend you hold the poi between your thumb and pointer finger. Give the taura a gentle pinch, just below the hukahuka. Sometimes we see people holding the hukahuka, this is not ideal as they may slip out and fly away.
- Practice lots. The more you practice the easier poi become a part of you.
- Utilise kupu Māori whilst practicing. Kupu (words) such as;
mōrere - swing
taki - beat
tākaro - play
kanikani - dance
whakaharatau - practice
waiata - sing.